Examples: query, "exact match", wildcard*, wild?ard, wild*rd
Fuzzy search: cake~ (finds cakes, bake)
Term boost: "red velvet"^4, chocolate^2
Field grouping: tags:(+work -"fun-stuff")
Escape special characters +-&|!(){}[]^"~*?:\ - e.g. \+ \* \!
Range search: properties.timestamp:[1587729413488 TO *] (inclusive), properties.title:{A TO Z}(excluding A and Z)
Combinations: chocolate AND vanilla, chocolate OR vanilla, (chocolate OR vanilla) NOT "vanilla pudding"
Field search: properties.title:"The Title" AND text
Foreclosure & Tax Deed Auctions / Answered
Does suggestion of bankruptcy always stop a foreclosure sale?

Hello,

I very often see "Suggestion of Bankruptcies" in foreclosure case dockets. While some are in good faith, it seems that some are intended to delay the sale as much as possible. Sometimes, there are multiple suggestions of bankruptcy in the dockets.

I am new to buying foreclosed properties. When I see a last-minute suggestion of bankruptcy in a docket, I avoid bidding on that property because I assume that the foreclosure sale will be canceled, even if it initially proceeds. Is this assumption correct? Can a judge still proceed with the foreclosure sale even if the defendant has filed a suggestion of bankruptcy? Can the homeowner repeatedly file last-minute suggestions of bankruptcy to indefinitely stop the foreclosure sale? Is there a limit to the number of suggestions of bankruptcy that a homeowner can file? Is there any way to know if the judge would reject cancelation of the sale after a suggestion of bankruptcy? Do you also avoid bidding on properties with suggestions of bankruptcy?

Thanks in advance,

Votes Newest

Answers

This is not legal or financial advice; I’m just sharing what I’ve learned as a real estate investor.

When dealing with bankruptcy (BK) and foreclosure, there are two main things to consider: the suggestion filed in state court and the petition for bankruptcy.

1. Filing for Bankruptcy: The bankruptcy court has rules about how often people (known as debtors) can file for different types of bankruptcy (Chapter 11, 7, 13). Sometimes, a debtor doesn’t actually get a discharge, which means their bankruptcy case is dismissed. Because of this, they might file for bankruptcy more often than normally allowed.
  2. Court Actions: Often, the mortgage servicer or the party foreclosing will go to federal bankruptcy court and ask the judge to stop the debtor from filing more bankruptcies for a set time.
  3. Foreclosure and Bankruptcy: A person in foreclosure might file a suggestion without actually filing the full petition. If the court clerk notices this, they might allow the foreclosure sale to go through anyway. Judges might do the same.
  4. Buying Property in Foreclosure: If you’re looking to buy a property that has a suggestion or multiple suggestions, it could mean the seller is motivated!
1 Answer
3 months ago
3 months ago
  Foreclosure & Tax Deed Auctions
Tags

Miami Dade County Foreclosure Schedule

Miami Dade County Foreclosure Auctions: